Town Reserves twice come from behind to reach final

By Jake Chown  
Wednesday 20th February 2019 11:25 am
Fin Thorp had a hand in two of Monmouth Town’s goals

Subscribe newsletter

Subscribe to our email and get updates right in your inbox.

MONMOUTH Town Reserves booked their places for the final in the spring, as they twice came from a goal down to triumph 3-2 at Undy Athletic.

The result sets up a meeting with Thornwell Red and White, who won 2-1 at home to Caldicot Castle.

At Undy, Monmouth Town manager Paul Perella said he was proud of the character his side had shown.

“We had most of the play in the first half but the last pass was just off,” he said.

“Right on halftime Undy broke down the right crossed the ball, our centre half slipped giving Undy an easy chance.

“At half time, I told the boys to keep going as I felt there were goals for us if we could get the final pass right.

“A corner by Fin Thorp and a great header by our captain Larsson Brown at the back post gave us the equaliser but Undy again capitalised on a mistake at the back to restore their lead.

Perrella and co-manager Richard Thorp changed formation and pushed an extra attacker upfront, a move which paid off when Jacob Perrella scored a great goal, side footing past the keeper from a cross by George Antony with six minutes left.

Town keeper Josh Ellis made a fine save to keep his team in the game and in the final minute Kyron Smith slammed in the winner after Fin Thorp’s shot was blocked.

“We hung on into injury time for a great result,” the manager added.

“Richard and I are proud of the lads for the way they kept battling.”

The game at Thornwell was never a classic but always interesting, with neither team able to dominate their opponents.

Tudor Morgan-Huggett put Thornwell ahead, diving full-length at the far post to nod the ball home after good work on the left by his brother Tyler.

Castle player-manager Joe O’Brien equalised with a bicycle kick which flew past keeper Jordan Doyle, but Wayne Duffield won it with a long-range shot which looped over Castle keeper Dave Hayward.

Later, Duffield, who is in a rich vein of goal-scoring form, denied it was a “hit-and-hope” goal.

“I’d be lying if I said I spotted him (Hayward) off his line but I wouldn’t say it was a hit and hope!

“It was a good battle and I thought we deserved the win.”

That opinion was confirmed by a bitterly-disappointed O’Brien.

“They took their chances well and apart from the goal I scored we didn’t create enough,” he said after the final whistle.

“All credit to Thornwell I hope they go on to win it now because they deserve it.

“I also hope we put this right in the league now and beat them in the two remaining fixtures we have against them.”

Bob Cypher


To leave a comment you need to create an account. |

All comments 0