South East Wales Cricket League Division One

THERE were nail-biting ends to three matches at the weekend with two one-run victories and one draw.

At Croesyceiliog, Chepstow First XI were struggling at 99-7 but a battling 84 from Zak Watson, James Bostock’s 34 and skipper Jason Dobbies’ 27 helped them post 237 all out.

Home side skipper Stewart Roden (67) and wicketkeeper William Smale (70) started the chase well but Chepstow bowlers Lewys Jones and Ben Kelloway took four quick wickets and it all boiled down to the home side needing to score a boundary off the last delivery to secure victory - which they did, ending on 238-8.

“What a game of cricket,” Chepstow all-rounder Malith Madurasinghe said later.

“Our tail really wagged around a superb knock from Zak.

“Croesy got of to a good start but we clawed our way back with Lewys and Ben bowling well. It was disappointing to lose but a great game of cricket.”

At Mill Lane, Sudbrook First XI set Usk a total of 214 to beat thanks to Scott O’Leary (59), Matthew Burton (42), Greg Shaw (31) and opener Ross Lewis (43).

O’Leary struck five towering maximums - one landing in his own back garden - while Burton hammered two maximums into the adjacent wood.

In reply, George Lewis (78) and Matt Hancock (59) gave Usk a good start but apart from Jamie Norman (28), none of the other batsmen reached double figures and after Rob Supple took 3-10 in three overs, Usk’s challenge ended a run short.

It was even closer at Abercarn where Undy and Magor gained their second draw of the season in an eventful match.

After winning the toss, Undy and Magor skipper Ryan Hudson chose to field.

“I was confident our bowling could keep their score low and I was happy to restrict them to 146-9,” Hudson said later.

There was a nasty accident when Steve Hepple’s delivery popped up and caught the Abercarn batsman in the face, splitting his lip open.

“We later heard he required 18 stitches, and obviously wish him a speedy recovery,” Hudson added.

“Our bowling and fielding was superb throughout, Richard Hudson taking 2-15 in nine overs.”

In their reply, Undy and Magor lost early wickets and had only 26 runs on the board after 20 overs.

But after heroics with the ball, Richard Hudson produced an excellent performance with the bat and along with Josh James, began to trouble the scorer.

Hudson struck the only two boundaries of Undy and Magor’s innings in his 29-run contribution while James scored 55.

“It was a cultured knock but there was to be one last dramatic twist,” the skipper added.

“We needed six runs from the last over to win with Monty Williams and Paul Smith at the crease. Monty hit what we thought was a four, but the fielder was adamant it hadn’t crossed the line, so three runs were our reward instead.

“The next few balls were dots, and then a wide was given.

“We required one run off the last ball to tie, and when Paul nudged it to gully, there was a misfield and we made it.”

Bob Cypher