A STORE on Monnow Street was evacuated following a poison gas scare.

Superdrug was closed to shoppers on Saturday, 23rd March, following a call to the emergency services that fumes could be smelled within the premises.

Two appliances from Monmouth attended following the 999 call and, using breathing apparatus, identified cleaning agents that had been used to clear the drains.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the building and assessed the situation.

It was suspected that the cleaning agents had reacted with each other. As a precaution the store was closed and evacuated and all staff members where checked over. The store remained closed over the weekend.

A spokesman for Superdrug said: "The drain in our Monmouth store was blocked on Saturday and while the plumber was fixing this there was unfortunately a gas leak.  The safety of our customers and colleagues is our primary concern and the store was closed as a precaution while this was rectified, however we are pleased to confirm it has now reopened."

A spokesman for the South Wales Fire and Rescue Service (SWFRS) added: "South Wales Fire and Rescue Service received a call at 12.17pm on 23rd March for an incident in Monnow Street. Monmouth Station attended. SWFRS officers ventilated and evacuated the area. Crews stood down at 3.27pm."

Photo courtesy of John Davies