Monmouth’s poor run continues with 3-1 Celtic defeat

By Monmouthshire Beacon/Chepstow Beacon in Football

Welsh League Division One - Monmouth Town 1 Cwmbran Celtic 3

MONMOUTH Town’s dismal run of form continued last weekend with a 3-1 defeat to Cwmbran Celtic in Welsh League Division One.

The Kingfishers went into the game urgently needing a win, but it was the visitors who started the brighter of the sides.

First a shot from range went ovear the bar, before good chances from a free kick which was headed wide and a shot from range which hit the woodwork kept the scores level.

Cwmbran had a good chance to make their early dominance pay off when their striker Josh Bull was brought down in the box in the 19th minute, but Monmouth stopper Lee Williams guessed the right way to save the spot kick.

Monmouth’s first chance came when Ashley Ford’s header goalwards was cleared by a Celtic defender. A free kick by Sam Palmer was cleared back to him and his follow up shot was cleared off the line.

With the home side beginning to come into the game, Celtic took the lead just before half time when their midfielder Lloyd Kinsella timed his run to connect with a through ball.

Monmouth started the second half positively and scored soon after. From the Kingfishers’ first corner of the match left back Luke Cleaves headed Ashley Palmer’s cross into the net off the post for the equaliser.

Celtic were coming back into the game, and their first chance of the half came on 60 minutes when an effort from Bull was hooked over the bar.

Monmouth were creating chances too, as a long throw from Cleaves was hooked over the bar by Palmer. Another Cleaves throw brought a shot from Dan Spence which was deflected for a corner, but nothing came from the chance.

On 66 minutes the visitors took the lead again. A long through ball found stoker Bull again who wriggled this way and that before wrong footing Williams with a deft shot into the net.

A late third for Celtic in the 86th minute saw Bull score his second of the game and make up for his earlier penalty miss.

With seven games remaining, Monmouth will be hoping for a victory next week away against fellow strugglers Caldicot Town.

Add Comment

Add Your Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment

By posting your comment you agree to our T & C